Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 15:59:40 +0000

Meanwhile I don't think the ability to tweak or upgrade will ensure the
dominance of the PC platform. The upgraders and tweakers are a tiny
minority. Most people simply don't care.

Yeah, I think it simply comes down to cost ultimately. and GNU+Linux
being available for no-charge is the main reason it is adopted. Has anyone published research on this area of why GNU+Linux and other Open Source + Free Software has been widely adopted? Firefox is one example which is largely a practical one (better than IE, and not full of security flaws), I know loads of users who have no idea that it is developed as "Open Source".

Cheers, Jon