Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:06:16 +0000

"Andrew Savory" <address@hidden> wrote:
> It's weird that we chastise Apple because we can't drop in new components,
> and yet we're not at war with dyson because we can't upgrade our vacuum
> cleaners, or Hotpoint because we can't upgrade our dishwashers, or Sony
> because we can't upgrade our HDTVs. What is it about the PC hardware
> industry that makes it unique?

Is it unique, or is it just one of the few things that readers of a
free software article will agree on?

For example, I won't buy dyson because he moved manufacturing jobs
from Somerset to the far east to reduce costs (and then put the
in-shop prices up) but it seems that you will.  Their cleaners are
also a bit complicated for me. Instead, I have a goblin that I can
service myself and there are some compatible parts available.

I don't have a dishwasher because they seem to waste energy and water
(see
http://www.climatechangeday.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=69
) and my digital television receiver is a constant irritation (the UI
even has spelling errors, for crying out loud!) which I will replace
with a MythTV Real Soon Now.

Each of the above stances has attracted quite a bit of disagreement
from other free software supporters when I've expressed them.  I
sometimes wonder if computing is the only topic where most of us
agree.  Maybe that's not surprising, from the definition of the group.

(I agree with most of the points I trimmed, FWIW.)