Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Alex Hudson
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 14:27:18 +0000

On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 14:06 +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> I don't have a dishwasher because they seem to waste energy and water
> (see
> http://www.climatechangeday.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=69
> )

No workee here, and the layout's a bit messed up :/

The story on dishwashers seems to change every time someone looks at
them. I don't have one, but I would struggle to believe a (full)
dishwasher is less efficient than doing it by hand. But then, they say
some people's showers run more water than having a bath, so...

> Each of the above stances has attracted quite a bit of disagreement
> from other free software supporters when I've expressed them.  I
> sometimes wonder if computing is the only topic where most of us
> agree.  Maybe that's not surprising, from the definition of the group.

I suspect that's probably right. I have a Dyson (pretty much the only
vac I can use that I've tested), though I'm aware they ship jobs I'm not
sure there are many better options (aren't Goblin defunct now?)

I would definitely challenge the 'people don't care about upgrading'
thing, though. Replacing car stereos is extremely common (though not
refundable ;), indeed, "enhancing" cars is pretty common. I specifically
bought the washing machine we have because it has parts you can replace
easily, compared to some of the more disposable makes.

And I would totally agree with your comments about the state of digital
TV hardware. "I would if I could", and so would many others.

I think the main difference with computing hardware is that it's so
general, it's put to many tasks and sometimes you want to do more with
what you have and that often requires upgrades - or adding new
functionality. Plus, the pace of change is exceptional really. Lots of
people require upgradable PCs: people who play games seriously on them
aren't really "hackers", for example.