Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Kevin Donnelly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:20:29 +0000

On Monday 21 January 2008 11:24, Noah Slater wrote:
> > How about "I used a Linux-based machine for 5 years, and found I was more
> > effective using Mac OS X to do my Free Software development and
> > advocacy"? Where does that sit in the world of valuing freedom
> > sufficiently to meet your exacting standards?
>
> It's completely contradictory. How can you say that you find it better
> to use non-free software to spread the message of free software? Can
> you imagine RMS using Windows Media Player (guessing here, not used
> Windows for many years) to do podcasts because it's easier and helps
> him get the message out faster?

Another important point is that the more people use a free software app for
real-world work, the more likely it is to get developed to meet the
additional demands on it - look at Blender, where a lot of armature stuff was
added as they did pro-level work on Elephant's Dream.

I can understand the pragmatic requirements of the working world - some stuff
is still easier to do with proprietary software - but I think it's a bit
disingenuous to argue that an approach based on personal convenience is
somehow doing free software a great service.  I can't see how you can
convince people that FLOSS is a great thing if you're not actually practising
what you preach.  It's a bit like saying that everybody should do their bit
to reduce global warming, but that your work requires you to hop on a plane
every week - your message is bound to be weakened somewhat.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly

www.klebran.org.uk - Gwirydd gramadeg rhydd i'r Gymraeg