Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Jon Grant
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 13:44:16 +0000

Hi

On 21/01/2008, Noah Slater <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 21, 2008 at 12:30:14PM +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
> > Lessig is a famous public speaker who promotes "free software" - is an
> > FSF board member, in fact - and uses a Macbook Pro and Keynote.
> >
> > This is embarrassing.
>
> I am shocked by this, honestly.

It's been going on for years. He failed to replace his proprietary
QuickTime files on his home page for about 3yrs of me asking. The CC
people have the same problem, filling their site with MP3 and Adobe
Flash files and being unwilling to change. I think things have
improved slightly since I stopped bothering to give them feedback, but
they've not really changed (Mike Linksvayer still uses a Mac I bet!)

Even the OLPC website has Flash files in it:
http://laptop.org/en/laptop/hardware/index.shtml

They were unwilling to change that when I pointed it out a few months ago.

It's like someone said, Gore makes some contradictions by using air
travel.. but at least most of his message is good... it is just a
shame people don't make 100% of their message consistent like Lessig
and the CC people should have. I think it's partly because they want
people to follow them, they're not interested in changing their ways
re-FreeSoftware (that's my speculation! I should have blogged about
them not fixing their ways back in 2003/4/5!)

Jon