Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund

From: Kevin Donnelly
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Mac OS X refund
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 11:20:38 +0000

On Monday 21 January 2008 12:48, Andrew Savory wrote:
> Ah, but you're making assumptions on what I do. I do practise what I preach
> - I use the same software to host my sites as I encourage customers to use.
> I do not (and would not) preach to customers that they should switch to
> Linux desktops, OpenOffice, etc - except in a few very special cases - and
> so there's nothing hypocritical here.

Ah, I understand now.  You're a bit like an 18th-century liberal espousing
universal suffrage, but not for the lower classes, women or blacks.  I still
don't see how the zealotry of insisting that closed software should still
have a privileged position in the landscape wins out over the pragmatism of
advocating the benefits of free software (eg access to your own data), but
that's a circle for you to square.  I find it hard to believe that the time
or useability advantages are all on one side, however.

>   It's a bit like saying that everybody should do their bit
> > to reduce global warming, but that your work requires you to hop on a
> > plane
> > every week - your message is bound to be weakened somewhat.
>
> Was the net effect of Al Gore's work positive or negative? Positive.
> How many flights did he make whilst doing his presentations? Lots.
> Was his message weakened? Only to those with a weak grasp on reality to
> being with.

I never mentioned Al Gore - I had in mind the common or garden business
person, in fact.  their message would certainly be weakened ... if it were
sincere to begin with, of course.

--
Pob hwyl / Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly