Re: Accountancy / Finance software -- was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Mac OS X ref

From: Richard Smedley
Subject: Re: Accountancy / Finance software -- was Re: [Fsfe-uk] Re: Mac OS X refund
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 21:59:04 +0000

On Mon, 2008-01-21 at 23:30 +0000, Dave Crossland wrote:
> On 21/01/2008, Richard Smedley <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > The OSC working group looking at accounting software reported at least
> > 20 apps in its recent Working Paper. I'd forward it here if it wasn't
> > marked confidential :-(
>
> Any tips why it is confidential? :-)

Nothing interesting I'm afraid ;o)
It's just an internal report into FOSS finance apps, and what
state they're in, and who's using them.

As I said, there's no real reason not to forward it, save it's
marked confidential. otoh any useful info in it will
probably be published anyway, sooner or later.

> > btw2 Getting back to the OP, someone mentioned software suspend
> >      problems. Debian on the iBook suspended when the lid was
> >      closed and resumed within five seconds of opening. No
> >      fiddling with settings, the user space power-management
> >      for Apple notebooks packages in Debian just works out
> >      of the box. :)
>
> Which iBook specifically?

12in G4 1.33GHz. It's a great machine to run GNU on: xinerama
was supported across internal screen and external. Virtual consoles
looked great in XGA, battery life was 4.5 hours. :-)

Only downside was the two hours it took to completely dismantle it
to upgrade the hard-drive. [1]

  -Richard

[1] <http://www.faqintosh.com/risorse/en/guides/hw/ibook/g4hd/>
     has a 57-stage guide!