ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: Alex Sassmannshausen
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 20:21:00 +0200

Hello,

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 07:37:41PM +0200, Jose E. Marchesi wrote:

>> >From http://www.gnu.org/ghm/policy.html:
>>
>>    "Offensive or overly explicit sexual language or imagery is
>>     inappropriate during the event, including presentations. [...]"
>>
>> Since I do not desire to be dennounced, prosecuted and finally
>> sanctioned or expelled from the event (especially considering the
>> physical pain and inconvenience of attending due to my very recent
>> accident) I withdraw my intention to lecture "Introducing GNU Posh" at
>> the GHM, as it is not compliant with the policy described in the page
>> above.

Sorry to hear we'll be missing out on the talk — are you sure it is
incompatible with the guidelines?

address@hidden writes:

> Yeah, I was pretty surprised we put such a policy online - what was
> the motivation?  Was there any issue in a past GHM?

I for one applaud GNU for putting forward a policy such as this — as far
as I know all organizations working to improve diversity and inclusivity
at conferences support such policies.  At the very least they provide
formal reassurance for people who might have concerns (for instance
because of past experience at other conferences) that any harassment
they might experience would be taken seriously.  At worst, nothing is
lost…

> I understand that it's more and more common to see this in larger
> events, but that feels wrong... I find this kind of policy condescending.

Why do you think it feels wrong?

> Should we modify it?

I don't know the genesis of the policy, as I am not a GNU Maintainer,
but I imagine discussion of concrete points might always be useful?

Just my 2 cents,

Alex

--
Sent with my mu4e