ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 18:30:11 -0400

                    AGREEMENT AND LIMITED WARRANTY

This  email  is fully  warranted  against  physical defects  and  poor
workmanship in its  stationery.  If this email  is physically damaged,
return it to me and I will  replace or repair it at my discretion.  No
other  warranty of  any  kind  is made,  neither  express nor  implied
including,   but   not  limited   to,   the   implied  warranties   of
Merchantability, Suitability  for Purpose,  and Validity  of Currency.
Any and all risk concerning the  actual value of this email is assumed
by you,  the recipient.  Even though  I or my agents  may have assured
you of  its content, either  verbally or in written  communication, we
may have had our fingers crossed,  so don't come whimpering back to me
if it bounces.

this  email,  if  any,  represented  by  this  instrument  remains  my
property.  You are licensed to use  it, however you are not allowed to
copy the original email except for  your personal records, nor are you
permitted to give  this email itself to anyone else.   Neither may you
allow any other  person to use this email.  Remember,  you may have it
in your possession, but it still belongs  to me, and I'm going to call
on you from time to time just to keep tabs on it.

This agreement supersedes all others between us, including the equally
ridiculous  one  you have  undoubtedly  pasted  on  the back  of  your
web-page, or concealed  somewhere in your underwear.   The location of
your version of this or any other covenant between us is irrelevant to
its inapplicability here.   Only this one pertains, and  I really mean
it.  In fact, this one supersedes yours even though yours may say that
it supersedes mine.   Why, even if yours said it  would supersede mine
even if mine  said it would supersede yours even  if yours said...  Oh
well.  You get the idea.

You may decline this agreement by returning the unanswered email to me
within twenty-four  hours.  If  you attempt to  send it,  however, you
have implicitly accepted these terms.   You may also implicitly accept
these terms by:

1) Calling my ISP to inquire about the status of my account;

2) Thanking me at the conclusion of our business transaction;

3) Going to bed at the end of this or any other day; or

4) Using any toilet or rest room.

Please be  advised that  I have adopted  a strict  rubber-glue policy.
Any nasty  thing that your  lawyers say bounces  off of me  and sticks
back  to you.   Be further  advised  that you  agree to  pay my  legal
expenses if  I decide to sue  you for violating this  agreement or for
any  other reason  that might  strike  my fancy.   Violations will  be
punishable by fine, imprisonment, death, any  two of the above, or all
three.

   > I understand that it's more and more common to see this in larger
   > events, but that feels wrong... I find this kind of policy
   > condescending.

   Why do you think it feels wrong?

Because it goes against the ethos of the GNU project, and it is
hypocritical, and void of meaning.  Can you say what _exactly_ is
deemed "offensive" or "harassing"? I cannot, hence I cannot accept
this policy -- it is fully and utterly nonsense, nonsense for the
personal convictions of the organiser(s) to decide, and not only that,
but you have no means of appelation.

The policy prohibits citations from our own web pages and projects!

Can I cite the sex(6) man page (part of Emacs)?  What about the virgin
Emacs?  What if one uses the verb abdicate (to give up all hope of
ever having a flat stomach), what about the noun circumvent (an
opening in the front of boxer shorts, worn by Jewish men)?

How about the the Intel Rectium microprocessor that is designed to
actually fit the appropriate body cavity for "Computing Anywhere,
Anytime"?

Best regards, Alfred Llamas -- a 'generously proportioned' male (375
pounds) with a less than generous penile length (4 inches erect)
seeking a vendor of high quality inflatable sheep who can give away
free samples as I am unemployed from the end of next month.