ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: Deb Nicholson
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 21:49:24 -0400

>>>    "Offensive or overly explicit sexual language or imagery is
>>>     inappropriate during the event, including presentations. [...]"

If I had to guess, I'd say that this is part of a long-term conversation
in the GNU community about what makes it a welcoming or unwelcoming
place for women who hack free software.

Indeed. I would only add that there is no reason to bundle "hacking on free software" with "explicit sexual imagery." It is an inefficient use of our time as hackers -- and movement builders -- to limit ourselves to only those new contributors that are interested in both topics.

(snip)

I for one have known some great women hackers.  I would like to see
more of them improving our/their free software.  To make that more
likely, I am happy to raise the level of consciousness within the
community, about how we communicate and how we can improve our
communication.

+1

It's unrealistic to expect progress without change. I look forward to continuing our conversation about growing and diversifying GNU, even if there are some bumps along the way.

Cheers,
Deb

        John