ghm-discuss

Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Ghm-discuss] The posh talk does not complain with the policy
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 05:14:10 -0400

   It takes a constitution of steel, or a principled rejection of
   relentless input from outside, for a woman to survive and thrive in
   yesterday's hacker culture.

You are claiming that women are feeble persons with no means of
standing up and saying their voice in `yesterdays culture' and need
your help in todays, you are also assuming that women are some perfect
beings that never make equally crude, and funny jokes.  How is that
not offensive?

The US, and Americans, in general, are overly sterialized when it
comes to interaction with other people that have different values.
And we can see this by this dicussion.  They have lived in a society
where they way to "empower" someone is to diminish their value by
becoming an over protective bully and assuming that because someone is
a woman, or whatever, they cannot handle themselves and need help.

The reality is that women can handle themselves just fine if everyone
(women included!) behaves like normal people.  There are already legal
instruments to reach for when someone is sexually molested, harassed,
etc.

But we are not talking about the extremes.  We are talking about basic
crude humour, jokes, and pictures! It is NOT normal is to "protect"
people from jokes that can be construed as tad offensive because
someone has had humour sterilization at some point...

   The mere fact that we are having this discussion means that the
   policy is having an effect, and probably a positive one.

It has a direct negative effect, people are afraid of giving speeches
and attending the conference, or wasting time writing treaties about
John Locke and freedom of form, US income tax, and the French
Revolution.

   PS: As this discussion has noted, perhaps the GNU project should
   revise some of the sexist jokes on the website, too.

No it shouldn't.  They are jokes are funny, nor offensive.