[glob2-devel] The widget system

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: [glob2-devel] The widget system
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 12:58:35 -0800

I have a variety of questions about the widget system. It has a very
c-ish interface, with all the const char*s and what not. But, past
that, here are my questions:

1) How is memory managed? In all your classes, you 'new' objects, like
buttons, but you don't delete them in the destructor. And I see no
sign of "passing respondibility", where the button is assigned a
parent and its the parents job to destroy the button, so its all done
automatically.

2) How are events handled? The current system seems very ad-hoc
(theres that word again), it seems to have something to do with
onAction but I can't tell.

3) What are unicode shortcuts? How are fonts referenced?

4) All of the menus seem to use exact indices, except for the yog
menu, which stretches out to the edges of the screen. Why is this so?

5) Are we planning a rewrite of all of these systems? Perhaps use an
existing SDL widgets library? (They do exist)