Re: [glob2-devel] The widget system

From: Martin Voelkle
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] The widget system
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 09:55:56 +0100

> I'm really starting to think 1.1 should go *before* 1.0. Every change
> I want to make looks like it will end up as a semi-permanent hack,
> although I may just not know the code well enough.
>
> Our goals for 1.0, whatever clobbers have appeared in our minds, seem
> to be getting harder and harder to achieve. Again, I may just not know
> the code well enough. But if we want serious goals for 1.0, we should
> make them, and work towoards them. It could take a year or more.
>

> On the other hand, we could merge Andrews 1.1 branch into the current
> branch, get everything back together, then start redesigning the
> systems, one by one, and after all this redesigning takes place, spend
> about a month realizing all of our goals for 1.0 and then release a
> kick ass game. This is my suggestion, we do 1.1 before 1.0, as to make
> the 1.0 code more permament, and much easier to write, especially for
> lil' ole me who seems to be the only developer on the project with
> enough time to do all this stuff.

This frustration with libgag is the exact reason I decided to begin
the QT port. The port needs YOU!

A way to do 1.1 before 1.0 is to skip 1.0 and aim at 2.0. Globulation
'2' final version should be '2.0', right?

Indeed, we should identify the parts that need a rewrite: GUI, network
(nuage wants this), in-game script, maybe others. But work should be
done in different branches so each can go at its own speed.

Martin