[glob2-devel] Swedish translation

From: Pope Retarded
Subject: [glob2-devel] Swedish translation
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 20:47:23 +0100

I installed the game this Friday and I liked it very much. I changed the language to Swedish, but since the tutorial was in English I changed back quickly. After I completed the tutorial I switched back to Swedish and found out that there were two Swedish translations and that none of them were complete.

The texts.se.txt were more complete, but the quality wasn't very good.
The texts.sv.txt had better quality but it was not as complete.

So this Sunday I took the latest cvs versions of texts.en.txt, texts.se.txt and texts.sv.txt (I also took the tutorial.sgsl, but realized that it would not be finished translating it any time soon) and made a complete translation of the texts.en.txt, partly based on the previous translations.

Now I would like to get cvs access and upload the new translation myself or I would like someone else to do it for me. I've never used cvs before, but since I'll probably do a lot more contributions (can't make any promises, but I loved the game and I'm planing to translate the tutorial and I might even do some programming and new maps) it would probably be a good idea for me to learn cvs (believe you could help me with that) and upload my contributions myself rather than going through someone else.

The next thing that should be done is removing the texts.se.txt (sv is the proper way to name Swedish translations) from texts.lists.txt, so that my new, improved and complete translation is the only selectable one. Having two (with the same name in the menu) is only confusing and there is a great risk that players choose the wrong translation.

An other thing that should be done with the texts.lists.txt is to sort it better. Alternatively the list of selectable languages should be sorted in alphabetical order. That way the order in texts.lists.txt doesn't matter. This would be a lot more logical and would make it easier for everyone, especially for new translators that are translating into languages with no previous translation.

You should know that I've tested my translations very carefully, since the old ones, especially texts.se.txt, often had too long translations that didn't fit. I've checked every menu and every part of the game play and I found no mistakes. I haven't tested it in the cvs version, instead I used the version that was packed with edgy (believe that's the latest stable), but I believe that the translations will work just as well in the cvs version.

Now, I don't know if this is to be called a wish, which I've heard should be posted elsewhere, but I would like to see an improvement of the tutorial so that it also covers markets and papyrus. I found it very confusing when markets became available in the campaign, since I hadn't been introduced to them and papyrus is just generally confusing. The only thing you can do with it is clearing it with your workers and what's the use of that?

An other thing I would like to know is if it's possible to translate map names and map descriptions. At least the campaign should be translated (it should be improved in many other ways too). Talking of it, why does it tell you to capture (or was it explore) buildings, when that is not possible.

The mail became a little longer than I first thought it would be, but the important part is that I would like cvs access (and skills) to upload my contributions. Then I would also like to be introduced to how the development works in general. I have a lot going on right now, but whenever I'm given a chance to contribute I will (I'll try to translate at least a sentence a day of the tutorial and hopefully I will be done until the next release). Speaking of the next release, will it be release in time to make it into the feisty repository?

//Erik Blomqvist

Idolerna uppträder på MSN http://msnpresents.msn.com/hub/?mkt=sv-se