Re: [glob2-devel] Swedish translation

From: Leo Wandersleb
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Swedish translation
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 23:02:48 +0100

Hi Pope

Thanx for caring for the swedish translation and things!

Now I would like to get cvs access and upload the new translation myself

I can't give u access but I'm pretty sure that if you attach the file to a post
on this list it will be in some hours later.

or I would like someone else to do it for me. I've never used cvs before, but since I'll probably do a lot more contributions (can't make any promises, but I loved the game and I'm planing to translate the tutorial and I might even do some programming and new maps) it would probably be a good idea for me to learn cvs (believe you could help me with that) and upload my contributions myself rather than going through someone else.

You have to register at https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/glob2/ for that.
One of the maintainers can then grant you access.

An other thing that should be done with the texts.lists.txt is to sort

That can be done by hand. I once "promised" to build an AJAX-page to manipulate
the translation files so anybody can safely add translations easily but this is postponed
to at least April. This could then check for (existing) duplicate keys and alphabetic
order and fit in the screen-shots and all. Honestly I'd do it for the fun of making an
AJAX-application rather than for the need of that feature. Read some RoR-Examples
recently as a colleague promised me RoR were super easy for such things.

You should know that I've tested my translations very carefully, since the old ones, especially texts.se.txt, often had too long translations that didn't fit. I've checked every menu and every part of the game play and I found no mistakes.

There's this screen-shot option. Someone please tell him what it was :)

Now, I don't know if this is to be called a wish, which I've heard should be posted elsewhere, but I would like to see an improvement of the tutorial so that it also covers markets and papyrus.

markets and papyrus are only grafix so far :)
markets had an attempt to be made functional but they are definitely not. You
can construct situations where markets can help but these are very unlikely to
appear in a real game.
papyrus so far is only a resource that is clearable but costs a lot of health
to be cleared.

An other thing I would like to know is if it's possible to translate map names and map descriptions. At least the campaign should be translated (it should be improved in many other ways too).

The campaign system is actively being worked on. Last time I tried it wasn't
possible to edit campaign maps.

Talking of it, why does it tell you to capture (or was it explore) buildings, when that is not possible.

Guess that was only to be part of a plot. It is not possible but the mission
you are talking about ends when you reach the according building.

Then I would also like to be introduced to how the development works in general.

Kind of chaotic ;)
No seriously: Glob2 has a rather little community of developers and so
schedules depend on single individuals. So a release date can easily be
postponed by 3 months cause nobody has time to do it or test the latest version.

I have a lot going on right now, but whenever I'm given a chance to contribute I will (I'll try to translate at least a sentence a day of the tutorial and hopefully I will be done until the next release).

We are always very happy to see new faces (or names). My personal fear is that
this genius game might loose support cause others are technically more advanced
cause I love the fact it is no clone of any commercial title and that it has
unique ways of doing things both in the gui as behind the scenes.

Speaking of the next release, will it be release in time to make it into the feisty repository?

What's feisty? I bet the release will not be within the next week.

Greetings, Leo Wandersleb

P.S.: Be patient if you want to play and write the people's nicks so their
irc-clients ring them up. We have to hit a critical mass of people playing
glob2 so you always find someone to play.