Re: [glob2-devel] teleporters

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] teleporters
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:54:49 -0500

On 2/7/07, Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> wrote:
> By the way, if you think the rest of glob2 code is more maintainable,
> you haven't seen much.  Glob2 is written using a greedy approach.
> Every change to glob2 is made in the simplest way it could be done.
> Therefore you have a bad design, and a lot of things are in places
> they shouldn't be.
> This might be a general open source illness.
> Anyway with Bradley coding so much and his preference on reuseability
> and abstraction this will change.

You're insulting our code aren't you? We should fight to death to defend
it! ;-)

More seriously, it's clear lots of parts of glob2 are far from perfect. But do
not forget that the code has been written over a period of more than 7 years,
during which the speed and amount of memory of computers changed a lot. Some
of the original design choices were required by the low amount of memory
available then. Nevertheless the general game design (units, buildings, and
co.) and support framework (libgag) is still ok after all those years. But I
agree that some parts of the implementation would seriously need a rewrite.

Have a nice day,

http://nct.ysagoon.com

Personally, there are parts of Glob2 that where designed quite well,
and I commonly find myself realizing that Glob2 already does it the
way i would have done it, but only after a couple of hours of
searching. Most of the newer parts where done with good code.

I see the problem more as where old code integrates with the new code,
which despite some of the good designs of the newer code, they have
these confusing segments and have to integrate with these old school
design paterns. There are parts that are old school, for example the
old way of doing TeamStats was kind of C style with the fixed size
arrays, the memset usage for memory initialization, etc. I updated
some of the TeamStats code when I updated the EndGameStatistics
screen.

The other problem with glob2 is that, while most of the designs where
simple to start, they wheren't particularly flexible designs, and they
where retrofitted with new features time after time after time again
untill what we have today. Bug fix after bug fix, (not to flame, but
many of them where hacks), the system is no longer the simple system,
easy to use design it once was.
--
Really. I'm not lieing. Bradley Arsenault.