Re: [glob2-devel] still getting same crashes

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] still getting same crashes
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 20:53:24 +0100

"Bradley Arsenault" <address@hidden> writes:

> On 8/2/07, Joe Wells <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     • Bug:  Any attempt to draw any areas (forbidden, clearing, guard)
>       with any brush other than the smallest gets one of these 3 crashes
>       (the line number depends on the type of area):
>
>         glob2: src/Game.cpp:496: void
> Game::executeOrder(boost::shared_ptr<Order>, int): Assertion `false' failed.
>
> This bug has been fixed.

Already covered in earlier e-mail.

>     • Bug:  I get this crash whenever pressing the key to reduce the
>       number of requested workers for a building when the number had
>       already been reduced to zero:
>
>         glob2: src/Game.cpp:267: void
> Game::executeOrder(boost::shared_ptr<Order>, int): Assertion
> `omb->numberRequested <= 20' failed.
>
> This bug has been fixed.

Hurray!

>     • Bug:  Whenever I quit a game, I get a crash with this message:
>
>         glob2: libgag/include/StreamBackend.h:66: virtual void
> GAGCore::FileStreamBackend::write(const void*, size_t): Assertion `fp' failed.
>         ORDER_PLAYER_QUIT_GAME

> I can't, as hard as I try, reproduce this bug. Exactly how are you
> quitting the game? This must be a permissions error on behalf of the
> OS or something else.

Thanks for the feedback.  Because you could not reproduce it, I have
looked into it some more.  Your suggestion that file permissions were
involved is the answer.

I have been using the bug workaround described in this message to
avoid glob2 filling up my disk with log files:

  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/glob2-devel/2007-04/msg00368.html

The workaround is to turn off all permissions on my ~/.glob2/logs
directory.  It seems that you have made some change which means doing
that now causes a crash.  Before it used to prevent log files (and
also cause all log messages to be sent to the standard output
instead).

For further background on why I came to this solution, you can consult
these earlier e-mails:

  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/glob2-devel/2007-04/msg00341.html
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/glob2-devel/2007-04/msg00343.html
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/glob2-devel/2007-04/msg00348.html
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/glob2-devel/2007-04/msg00350.html
  http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/glob2-devel/2007-04/msg00362.html

So either I need turning off permissions on ~/.glob2/logs to work
again, or I need some other solution to stop glob2 from filling up my
disk with log files.  This is important because all sorts of other
programs start failing when the disk is filled up.

What do you suggest?

--
Joe