Re: [glob2-devel] folders in gmail (was: still getting same crashes)

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] folders in gmail (was: still getting same crashes)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 18:18:36 -0400

On 8/3/07, Joe Wells <address@hidden> wrote:
"Kai Antweiler" <address@hidden> writes:

>> What mail reader are you using?  Maybe it has a configuration option
>> to make it handle replies correctly?
>
> I think gmail is to stupid for this.

Okay, I've done some reading on gmail.  Yes, it doesn't have folders.

You can get most of the functionality of folders with labels.  This
post has the simplest and easiest description of how to do this that
I've seen:

  http://blog.hotpepper.ca/archives/2005/05/gmail-folders/

You can search for "gmail folder" to find more discussion of this
gmail problem.

I highly recommend anyone using gmail who is getting confused by
gmail's threading of messages on the glob2-devel mailing list to make
a glob2-devel label and a filter to (1) automatically apply that label
to all glob2-devel e-mail and (2) make such e-mail skip the inbox.
Then you can see all glob2-devel e-mail together and you won't get
lost.

I already do this, have for several years.

"Bradley Arsenault" <address@hidden > writes:

> On 8/2/07, Joe Wells <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>     What mail reader are you using?  Maybe it has a configuration option
>     to make it handle replies correctly?
>
> Problem is that your replying to the topic and changing the subject with this
> (was: whatever) stuff, or here with changing the subject completely, but still
> technically being a reply to the same email. It makes things more difficult us.

E-mail which is a reply to another e-mail should be treated as a
reply.  E-mail that is not a reply should not be treated as a reply.
There are Internet standards documents that specify how this should be
done with the "References" and "In-Reply-To" e-mail headers.  The
"Subject" header is _not_ supposed to be used for figuring out whether
a message is a reply.  The "Subject" header of an e-mail message
should reflect its content; if the subject of a reply is different
from the subject of the message it is replying to, then the two
messages should not have the same subject.

I can report this to gmail makers, they seem to be prompt with doing requested features.

I'm sorry that gmail sucks at dealing with things that are trivial for
other mail readers.

--
Joe