Re: [glob2-devel] Introduction

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Introduction
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 14:09:50 -0400

On 8/6/07, nv nv <address@hidden> wrote:
Hey guys!

I am Akos Ilia from Hungary, you can call me Clanas as I always use it as my nick. Currently I am learning international forwarding and logistics, I am 21 years old.

My aim is to help Globulation 2 with creative writings, game design, map designs, campaign design, - and with doing some boring documentations :) I am designing my own games since my childhood and took part in 2 projects so far (I can't recall the name of the first one, but I had to quit that soon because I moved abroad for several months, the second project is called "Solarah Online", I am still a quest writer there.) I don't know the current hierarchy among the developers, so for example if there is already a good campaign designer for globu 2, I am not here to start fights to take his/her position. So, awaiting orders!

I suppose this will do as an introduce, thanks for your attention :-)

Welcome to the team. Right now, we *are* looking for someone to help implement a full sized campaign. Glob2 is a difficult game to be able to fit a story to, so it would be a bit of a challenge. First step is to get the latest tarball for beta 1 ( http://www.globulation2.org/public_files ) and compile it. Read http://www.globulation2.org/wiki/Obtaining_the_Release_Candidate . I'm assuming you are using linux, for windows, follow here, except with the changes that are designated in the link i just gave you: http://www.globulation2.org/wiki/Mingw_compilation .

For campaigns/maps, you'll have to learn to use the map editor. Its straightforward, however don't read top portion of the page http://www.globulation2.org/wiki/Map_editor_guide because it was designed for the old map editor, which has since been replaced. There are a couple details in the script that has changed too (I'll see i can update that page later today), in particular, setArea isn't used anymore. In the map editor, you will find something called "script areas", which are used interchangably with setArea areas, except you draw the areas on the map, rather than play with individual cordinates. Also, a new tool called no-ressource-growth areas has been added which allows one to control where ressources grow when its needed.

We always love more multiplayer maps. Every map has its own dynamics, how much wheat to use, where fruits are, space, distance. If you give your public SSH key to "Kyle Lutze" < address@hidden>, you will be able to upload your new maps directly to the server using mkmap.

Other than that you can take the route of a traditional project helper. Join the IRC channel #glob2 on irc.oftc.net when you can. Send "Stephane Magnenat" <address@hidden> a password, and he will hook you up with developer mercurial access, which will allow you to edit the campaigns directly in the respitory. Join the project on http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/glob2 and one of the admins like me, nct or k776 will accept you in.

Other than that, great to hear someones willing to help.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.