Re: [glob2-devel] new crash: “Segmentation Faul t (SDL Parachute Deploye

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] new crash: “Segmentation Faul t (SDL Parachute Deployed)” (no core dump file!)
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 18:26:35 -0400

On 8/6/07, Joe Wells <address@hidden> wrote:
Using the source in a .tar.gz file from today, I just saw glob2 die
with this message:

  Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)

However, there is no core dump file!  I checked, not just in what was
the current directory when I ran glob2, but across the whole disk.  I
also checked that I am not limiting core dump size.

Is glob2 doing chdir to some directory in which it doesn't have write
privileges?  I can't think of anything else that would completely
prevent core dump files like this.

I don't know how to debug this in the absence of a core dump file.

--
Joe

This is a segmentation fault, there is no core dump file because the program has crashed. Core dump files are only when the program still has its own control flow, and it only occurs when playing online and the two players desynchronize. Plus, the core dump file only contains the same information that is saved in the save files, it doesn't have other data structures.

Like we have said a million times, use gdb to debug. gdb would be allot more usefull than a core dump even if the core dump wrote out exact variable names, addresses and values for every variable, it would be practically useless because we don't know what code caused the crash.

Run the game in gdb as in gdb glob2 (like it describes on the various wiki pages), at the gdb terminal, type run to play glob2. Wen the crash occurs, use bt at the gdb terminal to get the back trace of the program, which is far, far more usefull than anything a full memory dump would give us.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.