Re: [glob2-devel] beta1-rc update - New tutorial campaign

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] beta1-rc update - New tutorial campaign
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:40:35 +1200

Ok, I'll just set something straight. I did not create the tutorial from scratch. I used Bradleys long tutorial, split it into four parts, made it a campaign and edited the buildings and such on maps to flow.

As far as content goes, that hasn't changed yet, and probably wont. I believe Brad wanted to keep the text the same as it was, because if it was changed, then the translations for it would break and need to be removed (you cant have a tutorial telling people different things!).

If I get the ok from Brad, I'll change these things:

>* i've been told to reduce worker counts to 0 and never to increase them again up till now. (2 clicks later it now reminds me of that. that's too late for people looking around and not knowing the game. also please don't train noobs to use 1 worker at a swarm. for this swarm i would consider 7 workers a good count.)
>* please mention the mouse wheel!
>* to get an explorer it is not essential to set workers and warriors to 0. the last increased (changed?) kind of unit gets top priority for the next unit.
>* You refere to "the first button uinder the mini map". there is only the construction tab visible at that time.
>* it is not necessary to hold down mouse button to see who's working for a building.

As far as the others:

>* the fact that space not only advances in the tutorial but also shows the last event now brought me to where my explorers were hit by hostile turrets while the tutorial tells me to build a race track. maybe the script should set the view to some point in the base instead.

This is a bug in the key binding system. I don't believe it used to do this, but never the less, it should be easy to fix. If the command space is waiting for a command, then disable the default command for space. This is somthing Brad will have to fix, I can't (its a code (not SGSL) based problem).

>***** "You can construct the towers now" is the last message of my tutorial. it doesn't go on. i have 3 towers constructed and building a fourth doesn't change a thing. (deconning and building the 1st tower again helped!)

show("You can construct the towers now. [snip] corner of the screen!).")
wait(Tower(0, 0) > 1)
hide
show("Excellent! Now, to place the walls around them. [snip] best as you can.")
wait(Wall(0, 0) > 1)
hide

It seems the game just waits for two or more tower contruction zones. Its possible the bug is caused by your units building too early (placing one, have it built, place another, have it build, rather than place two at once).

See if this is the case ( try instead placing 2 tower constructions inn one go). If tii works, its a simple change to fix it.

>* flags default to 0 units here. while this is a bug it still affects the tutorial in a blocking way

Again, its its a code (not SGSL) based problem. The tutorial doesn't set these value as far as I know.

>* the towers didn't block me at all. my warriors walked past them not paying attention

Were you on the last level or did you attack early? I'll try and improve it on all levels (this is something I can do without breaking translations or needing to knnow C++ ^_^)

--
Kieran.P
http://qlwiki.linuxsolutions.co.nz/