Re: [glob2-devel] French translation updated: problem with translation

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] French translation updated: problem with translation
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 13:02:24 +0100

Stéphane Magnenat <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tuesday 21 August 2007 21:01:33 Stéphane Magnenat wrote:
>> [inn level 0]
>
> It looks that such keys are not used any more. Can anyone confirm it ?
>
> We should make a script that greps source code for translations keys and
> suggests removal for outdated keys.

In the long run, it would be better if we switched to using GNU
gettext and its standard .po file format, because there are many tools
that make the translators' job much easier when using gettext.  Some
of these tools will automatically generate suggested translations.

Here are just some of the packages available:

gtranslator:

  PO-file editor for the GNOME Desktop
  Gtranslator is a po file editor which makes translating gettext applications
  as easy as possible, even for people with no translation experience.

  It supports the usage of translation memories, syntax highlighting, spell
  checking, undoing of insertions and deletions and general integration with
  the GNOME Desktop.

  For more information, visit <http://gtranslator.sourceforge.net/>.

kbabel:

  PO-file editing suite for KDE
  This is a suite of programs for editing gettext message files (PO-files).
  It is designed to help you translate fast and consistently.

  This suite includes KBabel, CatalogManager and KBabelDict.  KBabel is an
  advanced and easy to use PO-file editor with full navigational and editing
  capabilities, syntax checking and statistics.  CatalogManager is a multi
  functional catalog manager which allows you to keep track of many
  PO-files at once.  KBabelDict is a dictionary to assist with searching
  for common translations.

  This package is part of KDE, and a component of the KDE SDK module.
  See the 'kde' and 'kdesdk' packages for more information.

poedit:

  cross-platform gettext catalog editor
  Generator for po to mo. It is built with wxWindows toolkit and can
  run on Unix or Windows.

  It aims to provide convenient way of editing gettext catalogs.
  It features UTF-8 support, fuzzy and untranslated
  records highlighting, whitespace highlighting, references browser,
  header editing and can be used to create new catalogs or update
  existing catalogs from source code with a single click.

potool:

  A program to aid manipulation of gettext po files
  This package contains the filter program 'potool', as well
  as a few helper scripts:
   poedit            - helps editing of po files in your
                       favourite editor
   postats, postats1 - prints statistics of how much of a file
                       is translated

--
Joe