Re: [glob2-devel] further direction for mars and months to come

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] further direction for mars and months to come
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 18:54:54 -0500

The current design of the game makes forward bases essential to winning a battle on larger maps. But due to the nature of our game, it makes this concept difficult. A unit is never in one base or another, like it would be in a typical RTS, but instead your entire base as a whole, so units may arbitrarily move from one base to another. Our unit allocation algorithms minimize it, but it will always still happen.

What we need is to intensify our focus on larger maps, and the separation of bases, in terms of gameplay. Most existing maps are close, one base, one army, and the game concept has been built arround this.

We need to make the seperation of bases more clear, both in terms of visual elements and unit behaviors.

Glob2 has allot of higher level optimization strategy, for example, if you want to maximize fruit conversions, you would want to push your forward base closer and closer to the enemy. In this case though, if your within range of the unit in question, exactly how close you are doesn't matter.

Also, if you want to be able to attack your enemies, pushing a forward base with upgraded inns and hospitals close to your enemy will allow you to double or even triple your effective attack power. This is difficult and tactical, likely requiring a combination of warriors, explorers and towers.

Allot of this potential for higher level strategy in Glob 2 isn't seen on maps like Foursquares. In Foursquares, the entire skill is growth optimization, being able to get the largest base the fastest, and conquering one particular area, like dominating in fruit conversions or air-bombings. The strategy here is linear.

One limitation of moving to larger maps is path finding, pathfinding gets really expensive as map sizes are pushed to 512x512. I'm discussing ideas for pathfinding on another thread.

The idea of paved areas may help with constructing, in the players mind, separate bases that work together. There are certainly techniques to getting the most out of separated bases, for example, if you keep more than needed units at each base, you'll get a minimum of cross-over of units, and a minimum wasted time.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.