Re: [glob2-devel] New Wiki Download pages

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] New Wiki Download pages
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:55:53 +1200

Hey Michael and Ethan,

Ethan: Yes, I will try add a link to the Mercurial instructions on the main download page.

Michael: Well thats what we already have, and its very long, and very plain. The idea was to add color, make page sizes smaller, make things easier to find, and the new design does just that. And most of the time, people will use one of the four options on the main page. However, I'll move packages to the downloads page, and in he case they want the devel source, I'll do as Ethan suggested and link to instructions.

Hows that sound? Then its down to just two pages, downloads and compiling. Seems logical.

Also a lot of the information the old download page has regarding console commands and such is no long needed since if we link to packages, most of the time its just download and double click. And for the repository commands, while some are still there, others are really old, and can be accessed through most of the gui interfaces on fedora, mandriva, gentoo, opensuse etc.

Stripping out this information wont have much of an inpact. And if we start getting questions, we'll still have the history of the Downloads page so we can restore the information most asked about.

Any more comments?

Regards
Kieran