Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Doran Moppert
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 03:20:52 +1000

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 09:46:21AM -0700, Dustin Sallings wrote:

>       Well, I can ``grep string *'' and miss a dot file.  In fact, this is a
> problem when importing an existing tree with a bunch of stuff at the
> top.  I want to do a ``find *'' but that matches {arch}.  I end up
> doing a ``find [A-z]*'' which is slightly less fun to type.  Same thing
> when grepping, finding later, etc...

true, it's served well on unix for a long time to name directories that the
user normally shouldn't have to interact with starting with a dot. CVS broke
this but it so rarely caused a problem due to the nature of the directory's
content .. but with arch it obviously (going by the list traffic) causes a lot
of discomfort.

what was the driver for inventing the {} convention in the first place?
Ignoring back-compatibility for a moment, is there any advantage to using {}
over the more "standard" and "supported" .*?