Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 14:12:24 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

    >   Well, I *am* a new user, but I don't particularly see anyone defending
    > this as a good choice.  Basically, there's the visibility argument, but
    > I don't think that's a very strong one.

So, those users are lying or deluding themselves :-)

    >   My arguments against it are basically globbing and inconsistency.

Globbing works fine with my versions of sh.   Not sure in what precise
way yours is broken.    The consistency arguments are pretty
subjective, at best.

    >   If ``tla inventory'' did what I needed at import time, perhaps
    > globbing would be less of an issue, but I still don't believe that tla
    > inventory will ever replace all of the kinds of things people do with
    > find and recursive grep on their source trees.

Perhaps as a side-effect of skimming, I've missed your report on why
inventory doesn't do what you need.   Would you mind repeating it?
Perhaps it's a "user error" or perhaps there's a missing feature.

    >   The inconsistency is as compared to .arch-ids and .arch-params, both
    > of which are out of the way until you need them.

I'm just not clear on why the three have to be comparable in this
regard.  They're each used rather differently from one another.