[Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: {arch} directory
Date: 25 Sep 2003 10:55:14 +0900

Adam Spiers <address@hidden> writes:
> I'm with you on this, and I think it deserves more attention that
> classifying as a "very minor issue".  I have done countless
> finds/greps/globs etc. over the years that have required the RCS/CVS
> directories to be pruned and while it's not an enormous cost for a
> once-off, it does add up.

But note that the problem doesn't go away if you use dot files -- the
canonical way of doing recursive find/greps is to use `.' (`find .',
`grep -r FOO .', etc), which match dot-files just like any other.

False matches in a source tree is a problem that's unlikely to go away
soon; it's not just {arch}/CVS/.svn, but also editor backup files, build
cruft (even if you build in a separate dir, autoconf _still_ puts crap
in your source tree), etc.  `tla inventory' is a pretty good way to deal
with this for arch source trees I suppose; I wish cvs had something
similar (I guess you can do "cvs -nq update | sed '/^[?]/d;s/^..//'",
but that contacts the server...).

-Miles
--
Next to fried food, the South has suffered most from oratory.
                        -- Walter Hines Page