Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 12:09:30 -0400

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 11:09, Robert Anderson wrote:

> Less likely than uuidgen?  Are you serious?

I didn't say it was less likely than uuidgen, because it isn't.

In any case clashes are easy to detect and fix.

> I soundly reject the idea that history should be disjoined as a file
> evolves in intended function as captured in a "descriptive comment".

"disjoined"?

The history of "the file" is still there.  But if you're changing enough
of the file to want to change the tag, then it's very unlikely that
patches to it from older versions will apply, for example.   So in that
respect it's almost better to have the patch be completely rejected
(since it's against a file with a different id) than to have 3/32 hunks
applied or something, with two of those hunks being mispatches.  The
fact that the filename is the same is basically irrelevant - their
logical identity as a function of the whole is different.