Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Colin Walters
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 18:30:23 -0400

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 12:34, Robert Anderson wrote:

> So what's the discussion then?  The whole point of a file-id is
> uniqueness.

If you're going to be adding a bunch of lines to your files, why not
have it also serve a dual purpose as a short description?

> Yes, disjoined.  To render not joined anymore.  To separate.

I understand the definition of the term; I am questioning its
applicability here.

> Well who said you'd change _any_ of the file to want to change the tag?
> Maybe the file was utility functions for project X, and then you decided
> you could use them for project Y.  Do you change the tag which says
> "project X"?

It depends on the relationship between project X and project Y.  If
they're closely related, then why not just have them actually use the
same file?  Factor it out into a separate category or something.

If they aren't closely related, and especially if the file of utility
functions requires changes, you aren't gaining all that much by them
having the same tag.  You could take a changeset against that file and
apply it to the other tree...but if all you're changing is the file
contents, patch is just as good for that.