Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 15:01:30 -0700

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 13:24 US/Pacific, Tom Lord wrote:

I don't understand why you don't create a shell alias or tiny script
on your path.

This could be the answer to much of the features that are already included in tla.

In essence, you're asking for feature that, whenever you run commit,
goes and runs some other program first --- but there are lots of
mechanisms for running two programs in a row: why do we need more?
Or, why shouldn't _every_ program have such an option?

I'm not talking about running two programs in a row, I'm talking about a specific case where there is a specific piece of functionality that exists in all of the other SCM systems I've used (RCS, CVS, perforce, opencm) that I think would be a good optional way for tla to operate.

I believe this would streamline development for people who like to log and commit at the same time, and I don't believe having every user who wants a feature implement the feature himself ever makes sense.

Consider how complicated it could get. You're not just running two programs in a row, you're running a program after a prerequisite program is considered to have run successfully. The complication is in deciding what ``successfully,'' means. I suppose it's not *that* complicated, but it's a more complicated problem than ``make-log;editlog;commit'' and asking every user who wants this feature to implement this feature is wasteful.

Also note that I'm not asking you to implement this feature, either. I just think it would be a good idea to offer the three options I mentioned in a previous mail:

        * Current (abort if no message supplied)
* OpenCM-style (allow the log to be edited at any time, edit again at checkin time)
        * hybrid (if the log exists commit, else edit then commit)

Allow the user to control the way he works in this regard. You're not making anything better by *forcing* a user to separate log from commit. The user will be doing the same thing, but either doing it by typing more commands, or by writing a tla wrapper to automate it.

--
Dustin Sallings