Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 02:36:37 +0200

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 12:19:51AM +0200, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 01:24:38PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
>
> >In essence, you're asking for feature that, whenever you run commit,
> >goes and runs some other program first
> Only if no log file can be found. So what about a hook for that? Similar
> to the library hook suggested recently?
> To cover all development models, it should always be run, with the
> expected name of the (maybe already existing) logfile as
> ${ARCH_LOGFILE}. The hook can then test if the file already exists and
> fire up the editor (maybe even doing 'tla log-for-merge' and similar
> things first) else.

that would be fine too, I can set it up once for all, however the hook
again may be more complicated to setup and code for such a simple
problem than adding a fast-commit that I assume most users needs (it's
not a corner case usage where an hook gives enough genericity). We'd
basically end with everybody cut and pasting the same hook. Hooks are
more appropriate when they're all different. if the hooks are all the
same, then that would better not be a hook in the first place, but a
core command, so it's not duplicated.

About the log-for-merge, is this the command needed always after a merge
reject? Can't this be automated as well with fast-commit?  Why can't
arch understand what sort of log it has to generate by himself without
having me to think about it (if it's a normal log or a log-for-merge?)

thanks,
Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
            rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
            http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/
            svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.[46]/trunk