Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 02:39:55 +0200

I should read the emails in reverse order.

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 05:04:55PM -0700, Tom Lord wrote:
> So, what would you think of:
>
> *) a ~/.arch-params log-editor setting
>
>    The presense of this setting tells what editor to use and implies
>    that if no log is provided, the editor should be run.

This looks fine, better than the environment variable.

> *) -E arguments
>
>    A -E argument means to edit the log file, even if it already exists
>    or is defined by a -L argument.    One could say, for example:
>
>       tla commit -L 'the quick fix' -E
>
>    and the editor would be fired up on a file containing:

not sure if it's really needed but I certainly have no objection to this.

> and the one I think might be controversial:
>
> *) an optional, tiny interaction loop
>
>    Unless some argument, say `--non-interactive' is provided, and an
>    editor is invoked, then when the editor exits the user is prompted:
>
>       Commit? ([a]bort, [v]iew log, [e]dit log, default: [y]es)

Sounds all we need. So basically this will avoid adding fast-commit.

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
            rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
            http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/
            svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.[46]/trunk