Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 20:16:55 +0100

On 2003-09-26 18:07:53 +0100 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden> wrote:
I think it would be nice to vote on a default when a feature that forced you to do something a certain way was made optional. Knowing the way the bulk of the userbase works will reduce the amount of configuration the average user has to do to get going.

Maybe we already voted on it?  Did you check?

We didn't, but we could have. In any case, "design by committee" is probably not a good thing to advocate here. If you think that it really is a make or break decision, you know where to put the fork. If it isn't, then please let the current interface stay instead of trying to impose some other tool's face onto it.

For what it's worth, I hate the "start an editor" behaviour of CVS. People type rubbish in as log messages when they haven't thought about it. Making it easy for them to keep writing to a log file as they go along is a feature, not a bug.

http://mjr.towers.org.uk/ gopher://g.towers.org.uk/ address@hidden