Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 02:05:20 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 12:05:56PM +0200, Alexander Deruwe wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 10:14:46AM +0100, Paul Hedderly wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > Even better - if we start adding taglines (unique, unchanging tags) such
> > as:
> >
> > /*
> >  * arch-tag: DO_NOT_CHANGE_b85434bac70c3f186e66c110805ec317
> >   */
>
> As I mentioned in another thread, it would be beneficial to start adding
> these to the kernel source even before arch is being used wildly.
>
> Also, I think using Miles' suggested tagline format is slightly better,
> because the "do not change" notification can be removed once people get
> used to the concept of a tagline.

all you care is an hash resolving a filename to a sort of unique id
b85434bac70c3f186e66c110805ec317.

this hash should be maintained outside the data, it's as simple as that.
During import + tla add/rm/mv. This random almost unique ID should be
generated automatically. Then you can forget about the tagging file
mode enterely, those options can be dropped, there will be only one, and
we can discuss if to do strict or permissive checkins by default
(because then doing strict checkins will be always possible ;)

Andrea - If you prefer relying on open source software, check these links:
            rsync.kernel.org::pub/scm/linux/kernel/bkcvs/linux-2.[45]/
            http://www.cobite.com/cvsps/
            svn://svn.kernel.org/linux-2.[46]/trunk