Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 02:09:34 +0100

Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 01:33:22AM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:

[...]

>> Underneath, you store a random tag somewhere for each file (preferably
>> in {arch} rather than scattered in .arch_ids directories).  And you do
>> that for all tagging methods.  The different tagging methods merely
>> change how these tags get set---so they're more of a user preference
>> than a property of the archive, although if taglines are present, then
>> presumably they'll have to always work.
>
> And how is it functionally different from the explicit tagging method?
> Thus far you have accurately described it, aside from putting the tags
> in {arch}, which is mildly undesireable (makes directory renames
> messy).
>
> It's different to implicit and names, sure, but that's because it's
> explicit wearing a hat.

It's different because it also does names and implicit (and
tagline)---all methods look the same, underneath, and so there's no
nasty confusion when you try to change methods, or merge between two
branches which have used different methods.

(It may be that Andrea doesn't care about the different methods.
Actually, that seems likely.  In which case what he was talking about
*is* functionally equivalent to explicit, as you said.  However, it's
also possible that he was thinking along the same lines as me.  I take
your point, however, it's quite possible I'm mistaken.)