Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 01:33:22 +0100

Andrew Suffield <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 02:05:20AM +0200, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

[...]

>> all you care is an hash resolving a filename to a sort of unique id
>> b85434bac70c3f186e66c110805ec317.
>>
>> this hash should be maintained outside the data, it's as simple as
>> that.  During import + tla add/rm/mv. This random almost unique ID
>> should be generated automatically. Then you can forget about the
>> tagging file mode enterely, those options can be dropped, there
>> will be only one, and we can discuss if to do strict or permissive
>> checkins by default (because then doing strict checkins will be
>> always possible ;)
>
> That's the "explicit" tagging method.

No it isn't (I think, anyway).  It's what I suggested a couple of
weeks ago.

Underneath, you store a random tag somewhere for each file (preferably
in {arch} rather than scattered in .arch_ids directories).  And you do
that for all tagging methods.  The different tagging methods merely
change how these tags get set---so they're more of a user preference
than a property of the archive, although if taglines are present, then
presumably they'll have to always work.

[...]