Re: [Gnu-arch-users] configs?

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] configs?
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 08:53:54 +1000

On Sat, 2003-09-27 at 03:29, Dustin Sallings wrote:

>   Why not just have a
> single config with the ability to swap it out at get time.  For
> example, one of these three scenarios:

You have that today. I'm not sure what you are asking for.

>       I check out a project.  The default config is automatically applied,
> but I can swap it out after checkout and apply a different one.  I
> think will deal with the most common use-case.

Having a default config might be useful.

The other options you put forward are not fundamentally different, just
variations on a theme.

I use multiple concurrent configs quite a bit these days. One to bring
in code for X. One to bring in code for Y, and all part of a large rev
controlled structure. I've no obejction to default configs existing, but
any restriction from the current flexability will impact me. I cannot do
what I do with a one config per revision approach.

Oh, and as for doing it in the build system - my build system doesn't
know about arch vs CVS, and I don't want it to. My config management
system does - but thats because it *is* arch. Which reminds me...

Rob