Re: [Gnu-arch-users] configs?

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] configs?
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 01:57:57 -0700

On Friday, Sep 26, 2003, at 01:27 US/Pacific, Robert Anderson wrote:

On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 00:35, Dustin Sallings wrote:

        Is there a reason configs are required to be in the ``configs''
directory? It seems like any file in that format should be sufficient.

        In fact, is there a benefit to having a more than one per project?

Consider a fairly generic set of Makefiles useful for building more than
one project.  You'd want configs for each project that that set of
Makefiles can build.  As one example.

I'm not sure I follow this example. Are you suggesting having a project that is made up of Makefiles and references other projects that those makefiles can build? Either I'm not understanding that (which is likely since I haven't slept nearly enough this week) or it seems a little contrived.

The way I imagine this stuff being most used is in a project that makes use of a library type project. I've got a C-based application that pulls in a couple other C-based projects, for example. I don't see why I'd need to have more than one set of configs in a single branch pulling in different sets of sub-projects. Shouldn't a single sub-project set definition be adequate for any given branch of a project?

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>