Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Zack Brown
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 17:45:43 -0700

On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 08:59:27AM +0900, Miles Bader wrote:
> Personally what _I'd_ like to see is a universal standard for taglines,
> and bitkeeper use them too.  I can't be the one to suggest it though,
> because I'm in Larry's kill-file...

As someone who works a lot with plain text, I find the tag lines very
intrusive in my own files, but I still use them because of the benefits.
But I can't think of any sort of method that would be worth
standardizing on. Attaching this extra data to the visible part of a
file is just ugly. When I use revision control, I want to control the
revisions of the data I create; I don't want to have the revision
control process itself dictate what sort of data I put in its control.

In a plain text file, the very top and very bottom of the file are often
the parts that are most looked at. Putting tag-lines in there is very
intrusive, and it would be even *more* intrusive if there were a
standard tagging system that spread beyond just a single tool.

Be well,
Zack