[Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: 29 Sep 2003 16:18:36 +0900

Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
>     >> Personally what _I'd_ like to see is a universal standard for
>     >> taglines,
>
> I think you (Miles) should want to see a universal standard for
> _tags_, of which taglines are a subset.

Perhaps, but I think (perhaps wrongly) that taglines are an easier thing
to standardize on, because the meaning of such standardization seems
more obvious -- if a file contains an appropriate tagline, use that as a
name-independent id for the file.  But what does it mean to standardize
explicit tags?  The on-disk representation?  The tag values?  If the
latter, how does such standardization actually help, since portable ways
of exchanging files don't offer any way to contain the tags?

I could be missing the obvious, of course, but taglines seem like a
much easier target.  :-)

-Miles
--
P.S.  All information contained in the above letter is false,
      for reasons of military security.