[Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: give us a hand with arch
Date: 28 Sep 2003 12:23:48 +0900

Zack Brown <address@hidden> writes:
> As someone who works a lot with plain text, I find the tag lines very
> intrusive in my own files, but I still use them because of the benefits.
> But I can't think of any sort of method that would be worth
> standardizing on.  Attaching this extra data to the visible part of a
> file is just ugly.

Fair enough, but source files are a very, very different case than
`plain text files.'  Having a standard tag syntax for source files would
be very worthwhile, especially since source files are likely to form the
bulk of what gets stored in arch archives.

[Typical source files are COMPLETELY CHOCK FULL of meta-data of one sort
or another (copyrights, license info, hints to editors, history
information, RCS tags, etc, etc, etc), and no one blinks an eye.
Id-tagging info is no different.]

-Miles
--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"