Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tag'ged (branched) and cacherev'ed archive depe

From: Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tag'ged (branched) and cacherev'ed archive dependency?
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:25:41 -0300

On Fri, Feb 20 2004 at 06:00:51AM BRT, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> writes:
> > Protecting against lack of backups is a purpose cacherevs do serve.
>
> Sure, but only `halfway' -- you can retrieve the sources and all the
> patch-logs, but not the detailed changes.

        ... which is my current complaint :)

> This seems exactly right to me.
>
> If you really, _really_ care about maintaining all the information in
> an old archive, you should be careful to keep the old archive around in
> some form (mirrored or whatever), but for most people, what cacherevs
> give you is just about perfect.

        What if you still don't really, _really_ care about maintaining it?
Say, because you've just branched it for your own development when the
original maintainer took it off the air?

        Anyway, I must say I'm surprised at people's negative reaction to
having cacherev (or some other command) cacheing more information (namely,
the project's history). Is it too hard to implement? Would a patch be simply
dismissed because all of you actually think the way it is today is "The
Right Way"?

        If this is definetly not going to happen, I have some further
questions, then :)

        If I mirror an archive, can I later use the mirror as a "proper"
archive? I.e., can I erase the original archive, "register-archive -d" it
and "register-archive" the (former) mirror as the "main" archive, and
nothing will change?

        And, if that's possible, how can I migrate a project from one
archive to another? Because, is this case, if I had an old archive that I
wanted to get rid of, but which contained only one important project, I
could move that project (along with its history etc) to a new archive.

        I find it really odd that I can't do things like mirror a project,
only an entire archive. I mean, if I understood correctly, I can't do
anything of the kind, right?

                rbp
--
 Rodrigo Bernardo Pimentel                         <address@hidden>
 http://isnomore.net                          GPG KeyId: <0x0DB14978>

That's why we like you, Mulder: Your ideas are weirder than ours.
          -- Byers, "X-Files".