Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:17:29 +0200

* Miles Bader:

>> > Surely you jest.  How many projects in the world have that kind of
>> > changeset rate?
>>
>> GCC will be in that range if it switches to changeset-based version
>> control.  Most developers seem to perform commits using a single CVS
>> command, so you can simply count the messages on the commit mailing
>> list for an approximation (I used May for reference).
>
> I expect that if gcc adopted tla, the number of commits to the `central
> archive' would go down quite a bit though, because many developers would
> choose to keep their own local archive as a staging area.

This wouldn't cut down the number of patch logs, though.  It's
reasonable to expect that it would increase because developers commit
more often to their staging area.

--
Current mail filters: many dial-up/DSL/cable modem hosts, and the
following domains: bigpond.com, di-ve.com, fuorissimo.com, hotmail.com,