Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues

From: Matthieu Moy
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some issues
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 22:03:59 +0200

Florian Weimer <address@hidden> writes:

>> I think if you were careful not to prune logs from still-active
>> branches, sure.
>
> Uh-oh.  This needs a global view and thus is very hard to do.
>
> For GCC, this means that most patchlogs cannot be removed until the
> branch is officially dead (not only unmaintained, but really dead).
> Currently, GCC 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and of course HEAD are still in
> development.  A sizable number of patch logs has to live for years.

Well:

1) arch  needs a  solution about  this.  A text  file listing  patches
   present in the  tree, but for which the log  has been deleted would
   be a good solution.

2) However, your  problem has a solution without  modifying tla. Since
   tla makes branching easy, it is usually recommended to create a new
   branch for  each big feature you  want to develop.  Each branch may
   have a  big-but-not-huge number of  revisions, but the  main branch
   will mainly contain big  merges from the development branches. Once
   a feature  is stable  enough, seal the  branch, and after  a while,
   prune the patch-log.

--
Matthieu