Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Potential flaw in patch-log pruning in proposal

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Potential flaw in patch-log pruning in proposal
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 13:30:22 -0600

Thomas Lord <address@hidden> writes:

>     > From: Matthew Dempsky <address@hidden>
>
>     > One other thing to consider about merging submission branches is that
>     > they all add a CONTRIBUTION-LOG file which would surely conflict
>     > unless you made sure to delete this after merging.
>
>     > (Whether to interpret this as a problem with the proposal or the idea
>     > of development lines merging submission branches I'm not sure about
>     > yet.)
>
> It's deliberate.   The merging you do to merge a submission branch is,
> in effect, a higher-level merge command than ordinary 'star-merge'.
> You have to deal with 'CONTRIBUTION-LOG' and with pruning patch logs.
> Eventually, this higher-level command should be built-in to 'tla' but,
> for now, please just write yourself a little shell script.

Right, I am using a script to automate that part.

In that email, however, I was referring to people who are simply
updating their trees (e.g. jblack, abentley, etc.) wrt the submission
branches that have been merged into mainline now.  They would want to
be able to star-merge or replay those branches as well in case any
changes were made in the submission branch (patch fixes or conflict
resolution stuff).