Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: community spirit

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: community spirit
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 12:18:54 -0800

On Nov 1, 2004, at 11:35, Thomas Lord wrote:

In some sense, I think that part of what we're running up against in
the UI area is simply that arch makes some really quite complicated
maneuvers achievable and desirable, but our current UI technologies
have precious little support for "complicated maneuvers" because the
applications they provide access to tend to be so ... well
... simple-minded.

I think a lot of it is the best being the enemy of the good, though. Some extremely common things such as undoing a file should be possible without having to go find a recipe on a wiki somewhere.

I do, however, understand that a major complaint about tla is the massive number of commands (which is really just the way help is displayed, IMHO).

Wrappers seem to me like a basically sound approach: towards tla 2.0,
I hope to formalize the inputs and outputs of 'tla' a bit more, giving
them a well defined structure from which fancier UIs may be, largely
automatically, derived.

I'm not arguing that wrappers are a good idea. I can recognize the difference between feeling wrong and being wrong.

--
Dustin Sallings