Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: community spirit

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: community spirit
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 15:12:31 -0500

Thomas Lord wrote:
    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

> I agree with most of what you said, and I agree that it just feels > wrong to have to install a wrapper to use a tool because the base tool > doesn't cover some common cases, but the problem is not so much the > list of dependencies. The dependencies I had for installing tla in the > first place were much larger than any wrapper I've used to date.

In some sense, I think that part of what we're running up against in
the UI area is simply that arch makes some really quite complicated
maneuvers achievable and desirable, but our current UI technologies
have precious little support for "complicated maneuvers" because the
applications they provide access to tend to be so ... well
... simple-minded.

I think there is room here for real UI inventiveness -- coming up with really effective tools for empowering arch users.

Wrappers seem to me like a basically sound approach: towards tla 2.0,
I hope to formalize the inputs and outputs of 'tla' a bit more, giving
them a well defined structure from which fancier UIs may be, largely
automatically, derived.

I agree with Dave Allouche here: it's hard for an interface to serve two masters, especially ones as different as user input and scripting. For example, input validation is a good thing when dealing with user input; who knows what they'll do next? But when the script has already performed input validation, doing it again just hurts.

"changes" is a good example: when a user specifies a full revision, you need to make sure the revision already exists. But if the script has already verified that the revision exists, repeating the check is a waste.

Scripts often want to piece tla functionality together in different ways, and having to execute tla repeatedly, especially when it means repeatedly making remote archive connections, can really hurt performance.

Allouche and I have been kicking some ideas around today, but don't have anything formal to propose.

Aaron

--
Aaron Bentley
Director of Technology