Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki spam & user registration

From: chth
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki spam & user registration
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 04:07:03 +0100

> A week or so ago, someone proposed in IRC that the wiki should require
> login before edits, to reduce the amount of google-juice-link-spam
> that occurs.
>
> The debate was a little heated there, but I've since checked with
> jblack, and currently, we don't require a login to edit the pages..
>
> I think it would be a good thing if a login was required. What do you
> guys think?

http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/AntiSpamGlobalSolution

Moin wikis where this is deployed seem to get no (at least not much)
spam. Further the upcoming new 1.3 version will add a lot of features to
give a better control (namely ACL's).

I may disagree that registration or ACL's are good for a wiki but
unfortunally it seems to be required to protect at least some important
pages (like legal stuff, server contact addresses, Frontpage and such).

Bots can easily be adapted to make fake registrations, this will give us
only a short advantage.

Proprosal for a wiki policy:
 - deploy the AntiSpamGlobalSolution
 - Anyone else (not registered) is monitored by the
   BadContent/LocalBadContent from the AntiSpam solution thing.
   They might:
   - edit pages
   - revert their own changes
   - revert things on pages they created
   - grant acl rights to anyone else on pages they created
 - Anyone may become a wiki maintainer which gives him any other right
   this should not require registration but the person should
   be validated by one other maintainer (Thus only a Maintainer can add
   someone else to become a Maintainer), The only requirement for that
   should be that one can assure that the other one is a member of the
   arch community and not someone who wants to abuse the wiki.
 - People who abuse maintainership will be removed, removing someone
   else for no reason is abuse!
 - We need a few gentle Gods which only step in case someone does
   really bad things like deleting the M;aintainer list and
   additionally care for the few extra protected pages (Frontpage, Legal
   stuff etc...) the later one can be delegated. (actually it would
   suffice if jblack takes this part, because it is his server and he is
   in charge. But he might delegate the task to 1 or 2 more persons
   because he is not always watching it).

        Christian