Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki spam & user registration

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki spam & user registration
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:20:09 +0100

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 09:53:38AM -0600, Charles Duffy wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 09:46 +0100, Lothar Märkle wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 04:07 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > > I'd expect that using captchas would alter that substantially.
> > Why not just add a captcha for editing a page? [...]

> Good call!

[...]

> (A captcha, btw, is a "Completely Automated Public Test to tell
> Computers and Humans Apart"; [...]

[getting off-topic, but still funny, so...]

and you know how they are being circumvented, don't you?

(put up a web site with sufficiently attractive candy which
prospective customers only get at by ...you guess it: decoding
some else's captcha!. Gotcha. :-)

But ok, I still think a captcha might effectively reduce wiki
spam.

Regards
-- tomás