Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki spam & user registration

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] wiki spam & user registration
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:01:34 +0000

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 09:53:38AM -0600, Charles Duffy wrote:
> (A captcha, btw, is a "Completely Automated Public Test to tell
> Computers and Humans Apart"; the zero-cost webmail services started
> using them as spambot-repellant quite some time ago, and it seems like
> an appropriate thing for wikis to do as well).

A couple of months ago I saw an article demonstrating, complete with
sample code, how to defeat one of the ones used by one of the webmail
services (yahoo perhaps?). It's not particularly complex (reading the
article only served to confirm that yes, it was as easy as it looked
and I could do it in a couple of hours).

Computer vision is a great deal better developed than people tend to
assume. It's the full-of-weird-shit real world that's the challenge,
not recognising and interpreting images.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |